Sunday, December 27, 2009

How my iPod & my CD Player think about me differently

We've been listening to CDs more lately.  We have an old school five disk CD player-- and right now it has Barbra Streisand's Stoney End, Joni Mitchell's Ladies of the Canyon, The Magnetic Field's I, Shakira's Oral Fixation Vol. English, and George Michael's Best of (For the Feet).  It's pretty wonderful.  We've listened to them all a number of times, and it's becoming a satisfying form of repetion.

iTunes, on the other hand, is set to DJ, and nothing comes up with any order.  Peggy Lee followed by Public Enemy. 

I'm nostalgic for the long form of a CD-- though I'm being a hypocrite if I don't acknowledge that the Best of George Michael is already a refusal of the album as a form of distribution.  Like iTunes, a best of album is a condensation to just what you want to hear.  No interlude, no change in tempo, no set up, no pay off. 

Our CD player does have a shuffle mode that we once used, but it was sort of annoying, slow and noisy.  Our CD player predicted what iTunes would do better.  But iTunes won't really return the compliment.  I can't figure out how to set up albums to play in sequence, unless I build a whole list or I do it one at a time. 

Sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment