Monday, December 21, 2009

Can we stop the black/gay smackdown now?

I'm very excited about this:

DC Council Approves Gay Marriage

And not just because I'm still smarting from my days at the University of Maryland when the Board of Regents wouldn't extend Domestic Partner benefits to faculty and staff.  It was a long battle, we lost, and  it was awful.

I'm excited because I suspect that this will end some the blacks-are-the-enemies-of-the-gays narrative.  It also shows that blacks and gays aren't discrete populations-- there's a lot of overlap-- and while I don't want to underplay very real racism in the white gay community or very real homophobia in the black community-- I am heartened to see that the kind of false divides that were insisted on after Prop 8 being broken down.

Carry on, DC!

No comments:

Post a Comment